perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] MaDDash Reporting Data (Combining Reverse and Forward Test Results)

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] MaDDash Reporting Data (Combining Reverse and Forward Test Results)

  • From: "Travis Cook" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] MaDDash Reporting Data (Combining Reverse and Forward Test Results)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:29:04 +0000

Howdy!

I have an issue with MaDDash regarding displaying data from a perfSONAR device
performing both forward and reverse tests. We have one perfSONAR node (named
Node1 for this thread) that is connected to a private network that is separate
from my organization's private network. Node1 can perform tests with the other
perfSONAR nodes in our network, but our perfSONAR devices can't perform tests
on Node1 due to it being protected by its private network's NAT. To account
for this, we ran reverse tests from Node1 to test the connectivity from other
devices to Node1. We're using Crontab and pScheduler on Node1 to run the tests
during certain hours as seen below.

<Cron settings> pscheduler task --archive @/usr/share/pscheduler/psc-archiver-
esmond.json throughput --source <Node1> --dest <other IP addresses> --duration
PT2M
<Cron settings> pscheduler task --archive @/usr/share/pscheduler/psc-archiver-
esmond.json throughput --source <Node1> --dest <other IP addresses> --duration
PT2M --reverse

The tests work as intended, but the problem I'm coming across is displaying
the data in the correct sections. When outputted on MaDDash, the archive
server compiles the forward and reverse tests of Node1 together as forward
test results and leaves the grids that have Node1 as the destination without
any data to pull from. I understand that this is happening because the server
is still recognizing Node1 as the source of the throughput tests even though
it is performing reverse tests with the different devices. Is there a way to
separate the data so that the reverse test data will be in column where Node1
is the destination and not the source? With the current condition of the
MaDDash results, the reverse tests are drastically changing the average
throughput of the forward tests, and no data is present for throughput tests
from other nodes to Node1. Please let me know if there's a possible solution
to this problem or if I need to provide more information on the issue.

Sincerely,
Travis Cook