perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Unable to run iperf3 via pscheduler on ubuntu 18.04.5. Please help.

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Unable to run iperf3 via pscheduler on ubuntu 18.04.5. Please help.

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Prannoy Sablok <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Unable to run iperf3 via pscheduler on ubuntu 18.04.5. Please help.
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 17:46:10 +0000

Prannoy Sablok writes:

To install perfsonar-testpoint, I did follow the instructions for the bundle installation for debian, at http://docs.perfsonar.net/install_debian.html.  This was done on the server in question as well as a freshly installed Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS VM on my laptop. Here are some observations that I hope will help -

  1. Task RTT works correctly on both.
  1. Task throughput doesnt work on both. The error is the same on both.

No surprises there.  There doesn’t appear to be a problem with pScheduler’s core; all of this is between the iperf3 plugin and iperf3 itself.  The plugins are compartmented, so RTT wouldn’t be affected by this, nor would the plugins for the other tools that can run throughput tests.

I was able to reproduce your problem on a U18 machine and talked to Antoine Delvaux, who maintains the Debian and Ubuntu ports.  We confirmed that the version of iperf3 distributed with those was compiled without the needed features and are working on getting a new version built and into the distribution pipeline.

While its being fixed, could you please recommend an older perfsonar version that doesnt have this issue?

Sure.  I can give you a few choices, most-recommended first:

  • Leave the software as-is and run your throughput measurements with another tool (iperf2, nuttcp or ethr).
  • Switch to CentOS.  The build of iperf3 for CentOS includes the correct features.
  • Install 4.3.4, which is the last release before 4.4, on your U18 system.  This would need to be a completely-fresh install because the database that underpins pScheduler is not designed to be downgraded.

--Mark