perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Error getting tools

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Error getting tools

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Victor Olifer <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Error getting tools
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 13:38:32 +0000

Victor Olifer writes:

It happened the second time over couple of weeks that pscheduler on our
production pS host all of a sudden stopped working properly and reporting
error messages like this:

May 13 11:08:58 ps-londhx journal: pscheduler-api ERROR Internal error
2001:630:3c:f800::209 POST https://ps-londhx1.ja.net/pscheduler/tasks:
Error
getting tools from ps-londhx1.ja.net: Operation timed out after 10001
milliseconds with 0 out of -1 bytes received

I had a look at your system as much as I can from the outside. pScheduler
doesn't appear to have an excessive workload, but the API is taking an
excessive (although inconsistent) amount of time to answer queries:

$ time curl -sk https://ps-londhx1.ja.net/pscheduler
"This is the pScheduler API server on ps-londhx1.ja.net (ps-londhx1.ja.net)."
real 0m9.563s

This is the simplest query the API can answer, requiring only a round trip
through the web server. The toolkit pages respond quickly, which means that
the system as a whole is probably healthy. There are limited processes and
threads available in the web server for pScheduler requests; running beyond
that limit would cause requests to back up. Is there anything in the web
server logs that suggests any of the endpoints under /pscheduler are seeing
large amounts of activity?

For anything beyond that, drop me a line off-list and we can get together on
video to give it a look.

--Mark