perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Help in choosing the right installation bundle

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Help in choosing the right installation bundle

  • From: Szymon Trocha <>
  • To: "Olariu, Vlad" <>
  • Cc: "''" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Help in choosing the right installation bundle
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 08:20:07 +0200

W dniu 28.04.2020 o 16:22, Olariu, Vlad pisze:

Hello,

I’ve been reading the documentation but honestly it’s not at all clear what software I need to install for my purposes. What I want to achieve is basically have 1 host where the “green checkered dashboard” is hosted and from where I can coordinate other internal hosts in the network that allow me to use ping and iperf tests but only between my own hosts, no external hosts.

By reading the documentation [1] it seems that to centrally manage the other hosts I need to install “perfsonar-centralmanagement” on the host where I want the dashboard to be, and then install “perfsonar-testpoint” on the hosts that will act as probes.

My doubt is about the fact that both of these packages do not contain the Webgui for coordinating the tests… that’s only in the toolking. Is that correct? Could you guide me in what should I install if all I want is to have the checkered dashboard and various probes around the network testing each-other in a mesh?

Hi Vlad,

You are correct in your choice. perfsonar-centralmanagement contains packages needed to centrally manage other hosts including tools for publishing task templates via pSconfig. This part is done via CLI and pSconfig templates (building the JSON file in a text editor) - see http://docs.perfsonar.net/psconfig_intro.html

If your mesh is not a complicated one that should be enough. If you are looking for GUI-based tool to define and publish meshes than have a look at pSconfig Web Admin http://docs.perfsonar.net/pwa.html

Best regards,

--
Szymon Trocha
Poznań Supercomputing & Networking Center