perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] iperf3:Unable to determine participants: Process took too long to run

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] iperf3:Unable to determine participants: Process took too long to run

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] iperf3:Unable to determine participants: Process took too long to run
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 21:50:26 +0000

writes:

$pscheduler task --assist xxx:9443 throughput --dest yyy --dest-node
yyy:9443
--source xxx --source-node xxx:9443
Submitting with assistance from xxx:9443...
Unable to post task: Unable to determine participants: Process took too
long
to run.

perfSONAR 4.0 shipped with software to make it partially backward-compatible
with BWCTL, which was used in older releases. To make it work, we had to do
a few things that went against pScheduler's architectural principles. Under
some conditions that we don't control, parts of it can take a lot longer than
it should and cause errors like the one you're seeing. We stopped installing
that software by default in 4.1 (released in August), but older systems that
had it were left alone during upgrades. Yours is probably one of those.

If you don't have to do testing against perfSONAR 3.x systems, you can safely
disable the backward-compatibility features by doing a fresh install of the
current version or removing the following packages:

pscheduler-tool-bwctliperf2
pscheduler-tool-bwctliperf3
pscheduler-tool-bwctlping
pscheduler-tool-bwctltracepath
pscheduler-tool-bwctltraceroute

With the release of 4.2, we will be shipping an "upgraded" version of these
packages that disables all backward-compatibility features.

--Mark