perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] powstream, misleading log entries

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] powstream, misleading log entries

  • From: Jon Clausen <>
  • To: "Garnizov, Ivan (RRZE)" <>
  • Cc: Mark Feit <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] powstream, misleading log entries
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 14:08:32 +0200
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

On 2017-08-07 11:03:35 (+0000), Garnizov, Ivan (RRZE) wrote:
> Hello Jon,

Hi

> Your point for the error message is good:
> ""no route to host" *is* pretty specific, and does suggest a routing issue."
>
> The problem with this is, that the message is labeled as it is by the
> kernel. I guess you will agree it will not be a good idea to substitute the
> kernel messages on our side.

Indeed - as Mark wrote earlier - and I do agree. It was just not clear to me
that the messages originated in the kernel.

> IMHO the only improvement pS Dev could consider is to state the source of
> the message. Thus it would be easier to differentiate between events from
> kernel, external application and the service itself.

This might improve the situation, although I'm not actually sure it would
have made "the big difference" to me. Or rather, I'm not sure the
significance of the 'source' would have been clear to me, without the
context Mark provided in his answer.

Still, more info is probably better

br
/jon