perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] powstream, misleading log entries

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] powstream, misleading log entries

  • From: Jon Clausen <>
  • To: Mark Feit <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] powstream, misleading log entries
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 15:33:00 +0200
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

On 2017-08-04 12:52:46 (+0000), Mark Feit wrote:
> Jon Clausen writes:
>

> Now, I *think* this classifies as a bug, because the logged info is
> actively
> misleading. But it's going to be a while before I'd be able to identify
> which component to report the bug against.
>
> Connections rejected for administrative reasons get lumped in with the “no
> route to host” error returned by the kernel. All that comes back is a
> number that gets mapped to that string, and there aren’t separate errors
> for anything more specific than that.

right

> I agree that the message is a bit misleading in this situation, but it does
> fit in a “no way to get there” sort of way even if it’s not the routing.
> If you’d tried connecting to fi-csc-pstp01-mi1.nordu.net:861 with anything
> else (telnet, nc, etc.) while that port was blocked, you’d have got the
> same error.

fair enough, I hadn't actually tried (or considered) that, but you're right:
I just tested with nc towards another firewalled port, and it does indeed
claim 'no route to host', so...

> Any changes to make the message more accurate and informative would have to
> take place in the kernel and the C library. As you might have guessed, we
> don’t maintain either and are bound by their behavior. :-)

heh, yeah :)

It's pretty far from optimal, but there are so many ways things can fail,
that it's probably not easy to return accurate information in many
situations - but I would personally have preferred a more generic message.

"no route to host" *is* pretty specific, and does suggest a routing issue.
But at least now I know.

> Maybe, actually, a couple of pointers on how to submit bug reports?
>
> Asking on the perfsonar-users is a good start. If you’re positive you’ve
> found a bug, you can also drop us a line directly on the
> perfsonar-developers list. The perfSONAR project on GitHub
> (https://github.com/perfsonar) is divided up into many sub-projects, each
> with its own issue tracker, so I don’t recommend submitting bugs directly
> there unless you know which component is the problem.

Thanks for this :)

br
/jon