perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR tests to AWS?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR tests to AWS?

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: Hyojoon Kim <>
  • Cc: perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR tests to AWS?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 08:43:28 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Greetings Joon & All;

Just for reference, ESnet has 3 testers at equinix peering locations at Ashburn, Chicago, and San Jose:

    eqx-ash-pt1.es.net
    eqx-chi-pt1.es.net

    eqx-sj-pt1.es.net

These follow the same rules as other ESnet testers (things on the R&E routing table can reach these), including several Amazon routes.

The last time I did any Amazon testing (and as you note), we found that the LAN bandwidth (and by extension WAN bandwidth) was heavily gated by the 'size' of the VM you purchased.  Bigger is better, naturally.  Tuning doesn't help much, and it appeared that something in the path was selectively grooming TCP through loss.

Thanks;

-jason

Hyojoon Kim wrote:
Hello Matt,

We are planning to get an AWS Direct Connect, from our campus to AoA in NYC. And we wanted to see how performance differs to Amazon services, before and after we light up that connection.

So far, it seems we are bottlenecked by the AWS instance resource (bandwidth test to a t2.large instance shows around 615 Mbps). I was wondering if there was a public AWS instance with perfsonar installed and lots of resources (e.g., m10xl), which people can use to measure their network performance to AWS (not bottlenecked by other resources).

If there is no standard or widely-used method (or a public perfsonar node in AWS), I guess the method you used about a year ago is the way most people do? (i.e., spin up an m10xl image and tune it)

Thank you for your reply. These are useful information!

Thanks,
Joon