perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR Support Timeline

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR Support Timeline

  • From: Stephen Fromm <>
  • To: Andrew Lake <>, "perfsonar-user\@internet2.edu" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR Support Timeline
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:25:27 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:7ZkyFR+LPZB8pv9uRHKM819IXTAuvvDOBiVQ1KB91ugcTK2v8tzYMVDF4r011RmSAtWdtqkP0reempujcFJDyK7JiGoFfp1IWk1NouQttCtkPvS4D1bmJuXhdS0wEZcKflZk+3amLRodQ56mNBX660e/5j8KGxj5KRE9ZqGsQtaT3IyL0LWb/ZHJbhoAoDO+bPsmJRO6vC3crY8QjJc0bu55gAPEuHVTfOJf3yZ1Pl+Jqz794Nu95phu734Wtv48vYYUSajgcb8/S7VCSSk9Pnod5cv3uAPFQBfVoHYQTzNFvABPBl3+8BziXpr3+gXgse94kH2BIcDuTb0yVxyk4r1sDhnllHFUZHYC7GjLh5ko3+pgqxW7qkk6mtaMbQ==

On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 06:28:40 -0700, Andrew Lake wrote:

> - We are dropping web100 support 6 months after 4.0 is released. This is
> something that has been contemplated for awhile now and the fact that there
> is no web100 patch for series 3 kernels, like that on CentOS 7, makes this
> a good time to make that transition.
>
> - We will not be including NDT on the toolkit or other perfSONAR bundles
> anymore since it requires web100. We do not make this decision lightly, but
> our user surveys the past few years and discussions with many in the
> community seem to indicate that NDT is not a primary driver in using
> perfSONAR and the support burden coupled with the burden of requiring a
> non-standard kernel outweighs the benefit in the perfSOANR context. This is
> not to say it doesn't have utility in other contexts. NDT has a loyal
> following so it is possible it will live-on in other venues such as M-LAB,
> but not directly as part of perfSONAR.

We have found NDT to be an important part of perfSONAR and a great
resource in assisting end-users identify issues between their client
computers and test points across a network. This often helps identify
issues where it isn't feasible to deploy a perfSONAR node deep inside a
customer network.

Do the perfSONAR developers or other NDT users have suggestions on
alternatives to use?

Stephen Fromm
Network for Education and Research in Oregon