perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] RE: Duplicate Rules in iptables

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] RE: Duplicate Rules in iptables

  • From: "Garnizov, Ivan (RRZE)" <>
  • To: "Wussler, Doug" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] RE: Duplicate Rules in iptables
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 14:56:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, de-DE, en-US

Hi Doug,

Certainly it should not be the case with these replications.

f2b-ssh is a rule coming from Fail2ban, which is trying to protect you from dictionary attacks.

And it is the case that fail2ban itself is trying to preempt any rule that is matching ssh traffic.

It is safe to remove the duplicated lines, but make sure the very first rule that matches the ssh traffic is of fail2ban "-A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports 22 -j f2b-sshd

Please note that every time fail2ban:

 - starts: it preempts the rules with this line,

  - shuts down: the script removes the lines,

If by any chance the service did not shut gracefully, you will end up with the leftovers in iptables.

Best regards,

Ivan