perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Negative Latency Times on MaDDash

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Negative Latency Times on MaDDash

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Gene Gerhiser <>
  • Cc: Michael Reece <>, "<>" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Negative Latency Times on MaDDash
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:02:34 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Gene Gerhiser writes:

Has the group looked at trying to implement PTP for these measurements.

We have, and the project’s statement on it is at the bottom of this page:  http://www.perfsonar.net/deploy/timekeeping-with-ntp

 We have 2 gps referenced PTP grand masters at our headquarters and one grandmaster at our LA facility.  Our switches have the ability to ask as transparent clocks. We do have some cheap (30 bucks or so) NIC cards that have PTP capability at the hardware layer and would be nice to use perfsonar to do these measurements as opposed to using something like ixcharriot.

Having the hardware support in place is great if you’ve got it.

I haven’t looked a great deal at what’s out there that can do these measurements on PTP-enabled systems.  Since the software that does the actual measurement work in perfSONAR is all other packages (iperf, OWAMP, etc.), is there anything open source that does those kinds of measurements?

—Mark