perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Issue with perfsonar ipv6 and two NIC adapters

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Issue with perfsonar ipv6 and two NIC adapters

  • From: Zhi-Wei Lu <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Issue with perfsonar ipv6 and two NIC adapters
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 22:06:12 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23

Hi all,

Using Linux policy routing, I was able to configure two adapters to perform bandwidth and owamp tests separately, since owamp is rather sensitive to network jitter and mixing bandwidth test and owamp is not a great idea.

The CENIC maddash dashboard shows that our host mélange.noc.ucdavis.edu performs fine with two NICs on IPV4.

https://ps-dashboard.cenic.net/maddash-webui/index.cgi?dashboard=CENIC_10G-connected

A while ago, I setup our IPV6 for the 10G bandwidth test with rest of the CENIC grid, it worked fine until I setup an IPV6 address for the owamp test on the second adapter, it interfered with our main IPV6 bandwidth test, thus I turned off IPV6 address on the second adapter.  With the impetus of CENIC conference here at UCD, I started to configure policy routing for our IPV6 on these two adapters.  I verified the IPV6  ping6, traceroute6, and bwping –T owamp to a few CENIC hosts.

It took a long while for the maddash graph to turn HALF green for our host (mélange.noc.ucdavis.edu, 2607:f810:330:1ffe::f) to other CENIC grid hosts.  I wonder why I don’t get the FULL green on the maddash graph, since I was able to bwping to CENIC hosts both ways.  Does the other sites disable IPV6 owping tests to us since we were off the radar screen for a long time?

Thank you.

Zhi-Wei Lu

IET-CR-Network Operations Center

University of California, Davis