perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Warning banner for toolkit/auth page

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Warning banner for toolkit/auth page

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Mark Foster <>, Aaron Brown <>
  • Cc: Daniel Doyle <>, "Uhl, George D. (GSFC-423.0)[SGT INC]" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Warning banner for toolkit/auth page
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 22:39:40 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Mark Foster writes:

>I created a hacky sort of way of dealing this a while back; basically, I
>stuff the verbiage in the template(s) that are used to build the page.
>Some recent changes (on the GUI) side had me rework the script. When I
>shared my approach with him, George augmented it by putting in a (script)
>popup.
>
>It's probably pretty NASA specific, but if others on the list are
>interested, I'd be happy to share the approach.

Please do. It may not fly in all settings, but I’m sure someone will find it
useful.

DoD is probably the pickiest about this, and IIRC, you can do something
interstitial as long as there’s no way the user can see a login prompt
without having seen the warning banner. The Windows LegalNotice mechanism
passes muster because a dialog box with the warning always pops up and has to
be acknowledged before login. Not sure what they do for systems that also
have REST interfaces, but that’s another discussion.

However we end up handling it, there will have to be changes to the toolkit,
but probably not major ones. Aaron’s idea might work.

I’ve opened an issue on it (https://github.com/perfsonar/toolkit/issues/107)
so we can think about what to do with it for the next release.

—Mark