perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] looking for a perfsonar test node near Internet2 in LA

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] looking for a perfsonar test node near Internet2 in LA

  • From: Eli Dart <>
  • To: John-Paul Robinson <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] looking for a perfsonar test node near Internet2 in LA
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 16:42:40 -0800

bwtraceroute -s <remote_host>

Note that the cause of the performance disparity may be packet loss in one direction....

Eli

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 2:59 PM, John-Paul Robinson <> wrote:
Thanks for the links and pointers.

I've run some tests between ps-lax-10g.cenic.net since traffic there passes through the shared path from Bham, Atlanta, Houston, LA (losa).

My perfsonar node is tuned according to the esnet best practices for multi-TCP stream.  I get respectable transfers when this node is the bwctl client (bwctl -c, runs iperf3 server) of around 2Gbs, so pushing data to LA across Internet2 appears to be good.  The transfers for when cenic is the bwctl server (bwct -s, we run the iperf3 server) average around 300Mbs.

I'm trying to make sense of this disparity.  Is there a way to run a traceroute from that node to our site? I know I could usually go to the perfsonar web UI of the remote host and run a reverse traceroute but this host doesn't seem to allow access via the web ui.

~jpr