perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Problem on the throughput test results

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Problem on the throughput test results

  • From: Xu Chen <>
  • To: perfsonar-user <>
  • Cc: "Wu, Xiaoban" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Problem on the throughput test results
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 14:26:23 -0400

Hello all,

I use 10G NIC on my perfSONAR node. When I start a tcp throughput test from my node to another node, the throughput is 1.2 Gbps (before I use 10G NIC, it’s 911Mbps). After I reserve the the source and destination, the result becomes 0.4 Gbps. I use default TCP window size and MTU is 1500.  What do I miss on the configuration (perfSONAR toolkit or NIC)?

Another problem is when I change MTU from 1500 to 9000 (ifconfig eth0 mtu 9000 up), I met the following problem when starting a test.
bwctl: Using tool: iperf
bwctl: 26 seconds until test results available

RECEIVER START
Server listening on TCP port 5191
Binding to local address 140.221.68.2
TCP window size: 87380 Byte (default)
[ 15] local 140.221.68.2 port 5191 connected with 129.63.79.200 port 47521
Waiting for server threads to complete. Interrupt again to force quit.

bwctl: local tool did not complete in allocated time frame and was killed
What should I do so that I can use jumbo frame?

Thanks,

Chen Xu