perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSonar Results in Splunk

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSonar Results in Splunk

  • From: Daniel Doyle <>
  • To: "Manglos, Andrew P (173E)" <>
  • Cc: "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSonar Results in Splunk
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 14:20:36 -0400

Andrew,

As someone not overly familiar with Splunk, I believe it's just a log indexer and searcher vs a data storage engine. I guess you could formulate the results of a pS test into some standardized log message and then upload that using whatever APIs or mechanism Splunk allows for.

I don't know offhand if there is a way to hook into the pS "live" results and there's nothing natively in pS that integrates with Splunk (to my knowledge), but you could write something that ran out of cron or as a daemon or something and periodically polled Esmond for data that was within the last few minutes. Then crunch it down into the log message format you want, and then send that over to Splunk.

There are python and perl libraries available to make crawling Esmond easier, so with some elbow grease this wouldn't take much to knock out I think. It might be cool to share back with the community if you chase this route too!

-Dan