perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Different 10 GIG NIC

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Different 10 GIG NIC

  • From: Shawn McKee <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Different 10 GIG NIC
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:55:52 -0400

We got a patch a while ago to setup this option.  Not sure it it still maps onto the current version of the driver.

I am including it here FYI.

Shawn

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Garhan Attebury <> wrote:
In the past you could pass the "allow_unsupported_sfp=1" option to modprobe and use non Intel optics — at least this was true in older X520-SR2 cards we have in some RHEL 6 hosts (and some FreeBSD hosts). Might be worth a try, though a quick google shows this may have been ‘fixed’ in newer kernels and not work any more.

You could test with:

modprobe -r ixgbe
modprobe ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=0

As for NICs supporting Cisco optics, I’ve got no experience. I can say I’ve been plenty happy with Solarflare SFN5152F cards and Finisar optics in multiple perfsonar hosts.

Garhan Attebury
Holland Computing Center
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
402-472-7761