perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Restarting eash service while debug

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Restarting eash service while debug

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Restarting eash service while debug
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 12:40:17 -0500

Hi Winnie,

Thanks for the context, it's extremely helpful. Just to summarize, you have
two hosts you are debugging:

1. The first is lcgnetmon and it recently had its disk fill-up due to an
excessive number of regular_testing files. You disabled all the services on
that host, deleted the offending files, and now are trying to bring the host
back.

2. The second host you are debugging is lcgnetmon02 and its disk is not full
it's just performing poorly in terms of high load leading to unresponsive web
pages etc..

Let's start with #1. Everything you list can be chkconfig'ed on and your host
should be fine (under normal circumstances). If you really want to turn the
following off you can, but it is not required:

traceroute_ma
traceroute_master
traceroute_ondemand_mp
traceroute_scheduler
perfsonarbuoy_ma
perfsonarbuoy_owp_collector
perfsonarbuoy_owp_master
PingER

I would also recommend a slightly different strategy then turning small
batches of stuff back on and looking at the logs. There are lots of
interactions between services and you are just going to create headaches for
yourself picking through logs and running into error message that go away
when you enable the rest. Instead, turn everything back on (optionally
keeping the stuff above off) and keep your eye on things. It sounds like the
original culprit was somewhere between the regular_testing service and what
we call the measurement archive (MA) that runs under httpd. If the disk
starts filling you can turn off the regular_testing service and it will stop.
No need to disable everything on the box. In the meantime, once you have
everything enabled again we can see if the web interface returns. If it does,
I can help you assess what caused the original problem. If the web interface
does not return after re-enabling everything else I can help with that too.

For problem #2, what does the command 'top' output? Do things get better if
you run "/sbin/service regular_testing stop"? From information registered in
or lookup service, i see that your host has 1.89GB of memory (which i am
guessing is actually 2GB of memory) which is the below the recommended system
requirements for a perfsonar host of 4GB
(http://www.perfsonar.net/deploy/hardware-selection/). It doesn't mean its
impossible to run a Toolkit with that much memory, but if you're running a
relatively large number of tests that could be problematic. Depending on what
top says it may be worth adding more memory keeping in mind that it looks
like you've done a 32-bit install so you'll be limited to 4GB of memory by
the OS.

Please let me know if I missed anything, but hopefully those prove to be
useful next steps.

On Feb 4, 2015, at 9:56 AM, Winnie Lacesso