perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Restarting eash service while debug

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Restarting eash service while debug

  • From: Szymon Trocha <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Restarting eash service while debug
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 16:10:44 +0100

W dniu 2015-02-03 o 15:23, Winnie Lacesso pisze:
Greetings Szymon Trocha!

Well if you look back a bit you know I'm posting to the list about a
Latency box that yum-updated from v3.3 to v3.4 & broke. And the most
recent Enlightenment was that altho the *buoy* services were left enabled
(aparently) after this upgrade, they're not needed. And they may have been
involved in the most recent PAIN = 0% inodes free & a disk full of couple
hundred GB of teeny tiny zillions of files = much PITA to clean up.
(Or they may not have.)

So, printed copy of most recent doc:
2.7 Updating the Toolkit
2.7.1 Manually updaing with Yum. (Yup, we did this).
2.7.2. Automatic updates (good, now enabled)
2.7.3. Migrating from a 3.3.2 LiveCD/LiveUSB (nope, we did not do)
2.7.4 Special Upgrade Notes
. Updates from versions older than 3.3. are not currently supported.
Not relevant to my problem.
. When upgrading... archived data auto migrated... Not relevant.
. when upgrade from versions older than 3.4, auto-updates enabled. good.
. (snip) may be asked to create a new user. (Did that.)

So nowhere in there is: why are v3.3 services left enabled after the yum
update to v3.4, is this a bug? What exactly is the list of services that
*should* be chkconfig'd on for a Latency box & for a Bandwidth box?
Not as in sec 2.4 via the web interface, but from cli:
chkconfig --list | sort | grep :on
List the perfsonar services for both Latency & Bandwidth please!
So if we find some obvious perfsonar ones list NOT on that list, we know
there is some config problem.

Also there's only 1 perfsonar-installed crontab mentioned in doc:
/etc/cron.d/cron-mesh_config_agent
But 4 others are installed (all had to be disabled while trying to clean
up this poor troubled Latency box)
/etc/cron.hourly/logscraper.cron
/etc/cron.d/cron-clean_esmond_db
/etc/cron.d/cron-owamp_cleaner
/etc/cron.d/cron-service_watcher

That they exist & what they do should be documented. IMHO.

Hi Winnie,

I have created an issue for this: https://code.google.com/p/perfsonar-ps/issues/detail?id=1071

Szymon Trocha

Poznań Supercomputing & Netw. Center ::: NETWORK OPERATION CENTER
Tel. +48 618582022 ::: http://noc.man.poznan.pl