perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Testing between third-party endpoints

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Testing between third-party endpoints

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: Brian Candler <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Testing between third-party endpoints
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 08:29:33 -0500

Hi Brian;

>> Oh, and minor bug report:
>> The link at http://software.internet2.edu/owamp/download.html whose text
>> points to the owamp download, actually points to the /ndt/ directory as
>> its target.

I will pass this on to the Internet2 team that maintains that site. Thank
you for pointing that out.

I will attempt to answer your 3 unanswered questions:

> Q1: is it possible/reasonable/recommended to set up one central management
> node running perfsonar toolkit, and then install just bwctl-server and
> iperf and/or owamp on the other nodes?
>
> (I am even thinking of things like remote OSX workstations)
>
> I am testing toolkit 3.4.1 inside a VM, with two other hosts just running
> bwctl-server and iperf, and it appears to work; but I wonder if there are
> pitfalls I should be aware of.

This mode of operation will work fine. From the standpoint of the regular
testing infrastructure, it just needs a willing participant to bounce the
test off of - it doesn’t matter if its a full toolkit or just daemons. Using
the ‘full’ toolkit normally comes down to a choice of how people want to
manage the infrastructure. Some sites like having the machines be uniform in
software setup and choose to make the central host and the beacons all the
same, others may do what you are attempting and just go with minimal software
requirements.

> Q2: is it possible to get perfsonar to schedule tests between pairs of
> remote hosts?
>
> bwctl allows third-party testing, i.e. you can specify a remote client and
> a remote server.
>
> In the GUI under "Configure Tests" you can select the local interface and
> add "test members" hosts. It's not entirely clear, but I presume the tests
> all run between your host and the members, not between the members (which
> would be an N^2 explosion). Is that correct?
>
> In my test with two other hosts, the results page shows only
>
> src = <remote host> dst = <perfsonar host>
>
> i.e. no graphs between <remote1> and <remote2>
>
> In the FAQ, I see a mention in passing of a "mesh configuration", but
> googling for that term turns up a google-code project which seems to be
> between a mesh of perfsonar hosts.

“It depends”:

- OWAMP will never support 3rd party operation on it’s own, unfortunately,
due to the structure of the protocol. BWCTL does support this mode for the
tools it calls (e.g. traceroute, iperf, and the owamp client - owping).

- The GUI itself on the toolkit wouldn’t be able to schedule what you want
(your guess was correct - the GUI assumes one end is the current machine)

- The ‘mesh’ configuration also wouldn’t work for a 3rd party mode (also
assumes one end is the current host).

The one way that this could work is if you are comfortable with hand hacking
one of the internal files. The file in question is
“/opt/perfsonar_ps/regular_testing/etc/regular_testing.conf”. You may want
to set up some regular tests with the GUI (if you haven’t done so already)
and see how that file starts to become structured. It should then be
possible to hand edit that to substitute in remote hosts for the ‘self’ host.
It hasn’t been extensively tested (according to the developer I asked), so
it may need some fiddling and require you to submit us bug reports (use the
google code site - https://code.google.com/p/perfsonar-ps/issues/list).

> Q6: Final supplementary question.
>
> Is it possible to prevent a perfsonar instance registering itself in the
> global 'directory of services'? Is not joining any communities enough to
> stop this happening?

I suppose the easiest way would be to disable the service that registers:

1) Edit
'/opt/perfsonar_ps/ls_registration_daemon/etc/ls_registration_daemon.conf’
and add “disabled 1” to the top
2) Restart the service: “sudo /etc/init.d/ls_registration_daemon
restart”

Note that the service will have to stay ‘running’ (cron will make sure it
gets started if you just stopped it), so this should prevent registrations
(we think).

> Also, If you have a private collection of perfsonar instances, can you run
> your own lookup service and have them join that instead?

There is nothing that would stop you from doing this, this is not a supported
mode of operation for us however, so we can’t really offer many documents on
how to do it. If I had to guess:

1) install the sLS software somewhere
(https://code.google.com/p/simple-lookup-service/)
2) Hand edit your instances to point their ‘ls_instance’ variables to
the one you setup (and set up a private bootstrap file, etc.)

Hope this helps;

-jason