perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Testing between third-party endpoints

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Testing between third-party endpoints

  • From: Brian Candler <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Testing between third-party endpoints
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 20:43:14 +0000

On 01/12/2014 13:29, Jason Zurawski wrote:
Q1: is it possible/reasonable/recommended to set up one central management
node running perfsonar toolkit, and then install just bwctl-server and iperf
and/or owamp on the other nodes?

>(I am even thinking of things like remote OSX workstations)
>
>I am testing toolkit 3.4.1 inside a VM, with two other hosts just running
bwctl-server and iperf, and it appears to work; but I wonder if there are
pitfalls I should be aware of.
This mode of operation will work fine. From the standpoint of the regular
testing infrastructure, it just needs a willing participant to bounce the
test off of - it doesn’t matter if its a full toolkit or just daemons. Using
the ‘full’ toolkit normally comes down to a choice of how people want to
manage the infrastructure. Some sites like having the machines be uniform in
software setup and choose to make the central host and the beacons all the
same, others may do what you are attempting and just go with minimal software
requirements.

In case anyone's interested: I've just updated the owamp in Homebrew to 3.4, and added i2util and bwctl which were missing previously. This makes a Mac Mini a nice easy-to-install bandwidth testing endpoint :-)

I'm using the mid-range Mac Mini (2.6GHz i5, 8GB RAM) and it happily fills a gigabit: 941Mbps user throughput.

Regards,

Brian.