perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Non-Java NDT or Toolkit in general update?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Non-Java NDT or Toolkit in general update?

  • From: Aaron Brown <>
  • To: Clarke Morledge <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Non-Java NDT or Toolkit in general update?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 17:28:35 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hey Clarke,

On Oct 7, 2014, at 5:08 PM, Clarke Morledge

> The whole Bash shell-shock crisis has urged us to reconsider how we are
> deploying the pS-Performance Toolkit.
>
> The suite of tools have proven helpful over the years, but with the
> apparent coming demise of Java as a general use platform, a lot of the ease
> of use in troubleshooting problems for novice users has lost its luster.
> Maintaining Java has become quite cumbersome and the iPhone restrictions
> are pronounced, whereas in our experience, Flash, JavaScript and HTML5
> appear to be thriving better. Even with efforts to load up Java on those
> systems that support it, the cut and paste capability has long since been
> broken for statistics.
>
> There was an update regarding the status of an HTML5 front-end for the
> Network Diagnostic Tool back in July, but unless I am mistaken, I do not
> see much movement on this.
>
> Overall, I would like to know more about any plans to move the toolkit tool
> set off of Java. At least, it would be good to get an update on NDT.
>
> Essentially, we are still looking for a web-based and relatively easy to
> use utility that is fairly OS independent that any novice can use from a
> desktop, laptop, or handheld device for running general purpose network
> diagnostics. Iperf, BWCTL, etc. all are great for powerusers, but I am
> thinking more in terms of relatively simple tools for the non-geeks.

There is a flash-based web UI for NDT that’s planned for a soon-ish release
candidate. The current stumbling block is more on the packaging side than
anything else. The downside to the Flash-based interface is that it has some
performance issues which can be exacerbated depending on the flash platform
(e.g. windows vs. linux or chrome vs. firefox). There are some plans to try
to improve its performance, but it may not work all that well for 1G
connected hosts.

In the medium or long term, the plan is to look into rewriting the NDT
functionality to fix some of these underlying issues where possible. We’re
having a meeting later this month where, among other topics, we’re going to
discuss plans for the NDT rewrite.

Cheers,
Aaron