perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] bi-directional?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] bi-directional?

  • From: jim warner <>
  • To:
  • Cc: , Performance Node Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] bi-directional?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 02:57:20 -0800

On 12/13/2010 5:19 PM, Jason Zurawski wrote:
This field indicates if BWCTL was able to test bandwidth in each direction: from your host to the remote host, and from the remote host to your host. I will add both of these clarifications to the FAQ.
==
Thanks. I'll note that this is the only field on that screen that presents a *result*. The rest of the columns contain test parameters. That is a curious design choice. While documentation always helps, I suggest that column should be dropped in the interest of consistency and clarity in the next release. If the test is only working in one direction, this will show up in the bar graphs just below the parameter display -- assuming the site labels are large enough to be read.

It would, I think, be helpful if the values in the Window column said "auto" instead of using a blank column to indicate that auto-tuning is in effect. And some indication like "N.A." for the bandwidth column might make sense for TCP tests.

At Santa Cruz we don't set the window size so I went looking for perfsonar instances that do. The one I found (130.126.0.109) shows a window size of "3" for all tests. I was expecting to see something in KB or MB. It would be a good addition to the documentation to explain what is in this column.

-jim