perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] bi-directional?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] bi-directional?

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: jim warner <>
  • Cc: , Performance Node Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] bi-directional?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:19:57 -0500

Hi Jim;

On 12/13/10 7:53 PM, jim warner wrote:
On the Service Graphs / Throughput screen there are some mystery columns.

One is "Bandwidth Limit" What is this? Under what circumstances would
there be numbers in this column?

If you configured a UDP BWCTL (Bandwidth) test there is an option to limit the total bandwidth used. This field would be populated with the value you entered.

The other is "Bi-directional". This word is not to be found in the
on-line documentation.

This field indicates if BWCTL was able to test bandwidth in each direction: from your host to the remote host, and from the remote host to your host. I will add both of these clarifications to the FAQ.

I've got one test that claims "No" as the answer to bi-directional, and
I can't find where this is set or controlled. Assuming I set up a
uni-directional test (I don't remember doing this), I have seen the
error of my ways and I want to test both directions. Where is the knob?

The default setting is to test in both directions. If you see a 'no' value, one direction of the test is failing for some reason. Common reasons are firewalls, NTP synchronization, host permissions, or the host simply being 'busy' and not having a test slot available. I would suggest doing this as a first step (from the terminal):

bwctl -c REMOTE_HOST
bwctl -s REMOTE_HOST

This will test both directions of the test, if these both succeed we can debug further.

Thanks;

-jason

This is version 3.2.

Thanks.