perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem -- throughput/owamp service graphsnot showing

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem -- throughput/owamp service graphsnot showing

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: Zafar Gilani <>
  • Cc: , Performance Node Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem -- throughput/owamp service graphsnot showing
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:57:38 -0500

Hi Zafar;

The 'pool' servers may be better than using the US based servers when it comes to the latency metric, but these are still not great in other respects. The way the NTP pool works is to provide you with a potentially different server (though the generic DNS name) each time your server requests a time heartbeat. This usually translates into high jitter, which is also not good for the measurement tools. I think it would be best if you could try to find some stable stratum 1 or stratum 2 clocks in the region that you could directly poll instead of using the pool.

Let us know how the rest of the testing goes when you are able to SSH or otherwise access the machines.

Thanks;

-jason