perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Config info isn't saved after reboot?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Config info isn't saved after reboot?

  • From: Aaron Brown <>
  • To: Loren Jan Wilson <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Config info isn't saved after reboot?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:14:18 -0500

Hi Loren,

On Feb 23, 2010, at 7:13 PM, Loren Jan Wilson wrote:

I've been trying to get pS performance toolkit 3.1.2 running from the
cd. (I have never run perfsonar on this machine before.)

I go through the console config script and save the changes to
/dev/sdb7, and the config definitely gets saved to the partition, but
the live cd doesn't load the configuration when I reboot.

I've noticed that it doesn't automount any of the partitions at boot
time; the ext3 partitions on /dev/sda can't mount at all (unsupported
optional features error) and for the /dev/sdb partitions there's an
error in dmesg that says "VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdb7"
for each partition on /dev/sdb.

Typing "mount /dev/sdb7" mounts the partition just fine, which is how
it's able to save the config to the partition. But it doesn't load the
saved config at boot. I've been looking around a bit, but I haven't
found the place in the boot sequence where it tries to load its config
files...

I've attached a copy of the dmesg file after a config save to
/dev/sdb7 in case this helps.

Did you use the toolkit to format the partition or was it already formatted?

I think the unsupported optional features error means those drives are formatted as ext4 file systems. I'm not sure why it's not loading sdb7 though. Nothing in dmesg jumps out.

Could you run the following as root, and send us the output:

blkid

Also, if you could try running the following as root as well:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb7 /mnt/store

Hopefully, that should give us some idea of why the mounts are failing. Thanks.

Cheers,
Aaron

Internet2 Spring Member Meeting
April 26-28, 2010 - Arlington, Virginia