perfsonar-user - Re: AW: [perfsonar-user] Performance Problem : perfsonar-java-rrd-ma 3.2

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: AW: [perfsonar-user] Performance Problem : perfsonar-java-rrd-ma 3.2

  • From: Piotr Pikusa <>
  • To: David Schmitz <>
  • Cc: "Niederberger, Ralph" <>, "P.Heiligers" <>, "" <>, DFN-NOC <>, Nina Jeliazkova <>
  • Subject: Re: AW: [perfsonar-user] Performance Problem : perfsonar-java-rrd-ma 3.2
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:34:11 +0100

These issues you report concern on two different things realized by two steps in psUI.
First is to get info about all the interfaces, what is realized by requesting exist and metadata file. It should be fast and it doesn't depend on time interval. Peter's case shows it makes some troubles when metadata file contains hundreds of interfaces, for David 19 seconds is too long. What is disturbing getting info about 700 ifs takes 6 minutes and about 100 ifs takes 19 seconds - I must check it. Second step is to get information about particular interface depending on time period what is realized by rrd base (or sql when you use sql-ma). When you have many entries in this database time of realizing query hardly depends on technical base limitation and queries optimization sending to them from service. Ralph indicates some problems in this area.
To make services possibly fast I would like you to help me sending sometimes statistics of requests and responses processing by your services. Will you help?
Now I'm focusing on performance tests of rrd-ma and sql-ma services to found bottle necks and determine way to improve performance. Thank you for cooperation :)

Cheers
Piotr Pikusa
PSNC

David Schmitz wrote:
Hi Piotr,
Currently, this MA contains about 700 interfaces, i.e. about 1400
subjects (number of interfaces x 2 (in+out)).

A request for exactly 100 subjects (and a 5-minute time interval) takes currently about 18-19 seconds, which is relatively high.

Best Regards
David

Niederberger, Ralph wrote:
Dear Peter and Piotr,

I see similar problems with the SQLMA.
When using perfsonarUI 0.15b and asking for information (1 week) on a
specific interface (we have only 11 of them within the database), it takes
more than 3 minutes to tell me that there is a "java heap space" problem.
After clicking "OK", the client and my PC hangs.

I do not have the problem if I request for 15 or 90 minutes or 8 to 24 hour
intervals.