perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Ok I have perfsonar installed, now what?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Ok I have perfsonar installed, now what?

  • From: Joe Metzger <>
  • To: Terrence Martin <>
  • Cc: , Phil Demar <>, Maxim Grigoriev <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Ok I have perfsonar installed, now what?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:42:22 -0500

Terrence,
While the perfSONAR tools & protocols are still under development, they
can provide significant value to you now. We have been working extensively
with the US Atlas community, which has installed perfSONAR tools at almost
every US Atlas Tier 2. The Atlas administrators have been successfully using
it to find and resolve network bottlenecks, or to rule out the network as
the source of some file transfer problems.

A similar deployment effort is also underway at all the LHC Tier 1's around the world.

You will want to setup your perfSONAR system to regularly measure the
network paths between your system and the other CMS Tier 1's and Tier 2's
that you collaborate with, or depend on for your mission.

I think it makes sense to try and get together a CMS group to
recommend basic configuration parameters & test frequencies, and to
provide a first level of support to the smaller CMS groups in the
US. I will talk to Phil Demar & Maxim Grigoriev @ FERMI and see if
we can get something organized.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to you?

--Joe