perfsonar-user - Ok I have perfsonar installed, now what?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Ok I have perfsonar installed, now what?

  • From: Terrence Martin <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Ok I have perfsonar installed, now what?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:11:49 -0700

So as requested in the LHC/USCMS I have perfsonar installed on our cluster in
a spare node. It is still not clear to me, what is the value to me, as an
administrator of a CMS T2 site of having this service? I have looked through
the web interfaces, and aside from being fairly cryptic and offering several
uninteresting tests between my browser and the node I do not see much else.

Since I do not really care about my browser on my desktop on the 100Mbps
building network and really care about my cluster and its two 10Gbps uplinks
(one to ESNet) how do I use these system to improve the reliability and
performance of my cluster? For example does this node upload data on a
constant basis to a central site? Does it report information like CMS SAM?
Does it run tests periodically between it and other nodes to develop a map of
the current weather of the network? The Pinger service seems to be capable of
collecting some sort of network data, and I saw some graphs when searching
online, but aside from seeing UCSD-T2 in the configuration it is not clear to
me how to actually get anything out.

For example, what URL(s) do I enter in the PingER GUI?

Terrence