perfsonar-user - Re: [pS-dev] Re: PerfSONAR deployment

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [pS-dev] Re: PerfSONAR deployment

  • From: Loukik Kudarimoti <>
  • To: Giovanni Cesaroni <>
  • Cc: Vedrin Jeliazkov <>, , Alessandro Inzerilli <>, "" <>, , , Jason Zurawski <>,
  • Subject: Re: [pS-dev] Re: PerfSONAR deployment
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:43:53 +0100

Hi Giovanni,

This problem is not new. I am copying Jason and perfsonar-user list to see if we can come up with a quick solution. We hope to help you out with a solution soon.

Loukik.

Giovanni Cesaroni wrote:
Loukik Kudarimoti wrote:
Giovanni,

Lets try to finger-point the problem.
ok

a) RRD MA is working ok right? (tests are ok, perfSONAR UI shows data and all interfaces)
RRD MA is not working properly:

1- tests results:
$ ./test-ma.sh
Query Test
End point: http://srv4.dir.garr.it:8080/axis/services/MeasurementArchiveService
Request file: ../xml/MAQueryRequest.xml
Response file: ../xml/MAQueryResponse.xml
[#document: null]
(the same for the other 3, also for test-ls)

2- during installation I got this error:
mv: cannot stat `client/MA*': No such file or directory
(the same for LS)

3-
perfSONAR UI does not shows any data, but it says data retrieved.
b) LS installation is ok? (tests are ok?)
c) RRD MA registration with LS is *not ok*. Correct?
Yes, I see it from this line of the log:
ERROR - RRDTypeMAServiceLSRegistrationComponent: Error while registration: [unknown]: PropertiesConfigurationComponent.getProperty: Requested Param: service.ma.conf_filenot found

Loukik.

Giovanni Cesaroni wrote:
Hi,
I forgot to say that it is still not working :-(

Cheers,
Giovanni

Giovanni Cesaroni wrote:
Hi Vedrin,
comment in line

Vedrin Jeliazkov wrote:
Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Cesaroni

Hi all,
thanks to all of you for the support.
I installed 2 tomcat with different ports.
But I have this problem:
1- the UI tells me data retrieved without any error.
2- in the sonar_error log of pS I found:

2006-10-04 13:19:59,535 ERROR - RRDTypeMAServiceLSRegistrationComponent: Error while registration: [unknown]: PropertiesConfigurationComponent.getProperty: Requested Param: service.ma.conf_filenot found

It looks like your service doesn't know where to find its RRD description
file. You've probably answered a question about its name & location during the
installation procedure. Please have a look at the following line in your
$PERFSONAR/conf/service.properties.ma file:

service.ma.conf_file=
This is properly defined :
service.ma.conf_file=/home/gins/PERFSONAR/perfSONAR-1.0/conf/rrd-database_GARR.xml
and the file exists and worked with the previous version.
and ensure that the full path to your RRD description file is present there.
If you haven't created the RRD description file yet, then the following
instructions might be helpful:

http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/RRD_description_file

Please note that if you're using perfSONAR-1.0, then these lines in the RRD
description file (valid for SVN versions)

schema 1:
<nmwg:parameters>
<nmwg:parameter name="supportedEventType">utilization</nmwg:parameter>
</nmwg:parameters>

should be replaced for all interfaces by
schema 2:
<nmwg:eventType>utilization</nmwg:eventType>
I used the schema 2 for the the old version and it worked.
The schema 1 worked with the last snapshot version.
Now I changed again to the schema 2.

I still have the problem.
This is the output of the log:

2006-10-04 18:38:54,716 DEBUG -
RRDTypeMAServiceLSRegistrationComponent:
register to LS [http://srv4.dir.garr.it:8081/axis/services/LookupService] with file [/home/gins/PERFSONAR/perfSONAR-1.0/conf/rrd-database_GARR.xml ]

2006-10-04 18:38:54,716 INFO -
GenericServiceLSRegistrator:
register to [http://srv4.dir.garr.it:8081/axis/services/LookupService]

2006-10-04 18:38:54,716 ERROR -
RRDTypeMAServiceLSRegistrationComponent:
Error while registration: [error.generic.xml_file_storage.fetch]: /home/gins/PERFSONAR/perfSONAR-1.0/conf/rrd-database_GARR.xml (No such file or directory)

Any idea?

Best regards,
Giovanni

(valid for perfSONAR-1.0 or older versions).

Best regards,
Vedrin

PS: PerfsonarUI's error reporting is rather limited yet and the tool won't say
anything when it receives an empty response from the service, as in your case.
Newer (SVN) versions of the RRD MA service also have better support for error
reporting.
A note on the installation:

Do you want the MA to use an eXist database?[y/n]: n
Processing file /home/gins/PERFSONAR/perfSONAR-1.0/wsdd/ma-service-undeploy.wsdd
<Admin>Done processing</Admin>
Processing file /home/gins/PERFSONAR/perfSONAR-1.0/wsdd/ma-service-deploy.wsdd
<Admin>Done processing</Admin>
mv: cannot stat `client/MA*': No such file or directory

and the same for client/LS

What do you say ?

Thank in advance,
Giovanni

Loukik Kudarimoti wrote:
Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Cesaroni wrote:
Hi Loukik,
I installed the latest snapshot version of the MA and it worked properly.
Now I installed the v1 with the perl installer but I have some problems.
I found in the wiki:
" Note the LS and the MA cannot share a tomcat installation."
What does it mean?
That I need 2 tomcat running or 2 tomcat instances?
Yup. Unfortunately, that is the case with perfSONAR 1.0. We plan to have this fixed with perfSONAR 1.1.

In both cases could you give me some suggestions on how to do it?
If you want to install both the services on the same machine, you will currently need to install two instances of tomcat. Please note that you will need to change the port numbers on at least one instance of tomcat as tomcat's configuration by default uses 8080 for listening to http request.

Changing the port numbers is easy. On the second instance of tomcat (or both, if you want to run them on a port different from 8080), look for the following port numbers and change them.

8005 - tomcat shutdown port
8080 - tomcat listener port
8009 - tomcat ajp listener (you can simply comment out this line. tomcat works fine without it).

I have attached a presentation that Roman wrote and used for Lab session for SEEREN2. Have a look at slide 8. It might help you. Please make sure that you restart tomcat after you make changes to server.xml.

Once you have installed two instances, run the pS 1.0 installation script. When you are asked for tomcat locations, provide separate locations for RRD MA and separate location of LS. This should then work.

Which is the differences between the snapshot version an the other one?
Snapshot contains improvements which will be available in the next release. Snapshot is suggested for early adopters of improved pS software and for users of software (services such as SQL MA) which are currently not available in the official release.

Which version have you installed?
Believe it or not, I am struggling to install perfSONAR 1.0 on a solaris machine. We delivered a perfSONAR Lab session to SEEREN2 partners recently and while preparing for that lab, I must have successfully installed 1.0 around 20 times :)

pS 1.0 is the official version and I strongly recommend that you install the official version.

If you have more questions, you can contact me via IM () or via skype (loukik_k)

Loukik.
Thank in advance,
Giovanni