perfsonar-user - Re: [I2G2-Proto] [perfsonar-user] experiences from gatech

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [I2G2-Proto] [perfsonar-user] experiences from gatech

  • From: Chris Welti <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Warren Matthews <>
  • Subject: Re: [I2G2-Proto] [perfsonar-user] experiences from gatech
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:37:34 +0200

Hi all,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Warren here.
I tried to get the java perfSONAR suite 1.0 running investing more than a
day and I couldn't even get axis and exist running properly.
Unless there is a really simple way of installing perfSONAR, you're
not going to get this tool widely used.
And by simple, i mean _really_ simple, like a debian package that can
be installed via apt-get install, or something like make / make install,
or just a script that does ALL the installation tasks for you.
The point here is that I want to be able to just execute ONE programm
that does the installation for me. No worries about which paths to use
for the different tools, version numbers of programs, setting environment
variables, configuring port numbers to use, and so on.
There are way to many steps involved in the installation process that can
go wrong.
The problem is of course that you are depending on java/tomcat/axis/exist
and you don't have control about it's configuration/installation.
Well, that's the downside of not having a stand-alone application.
The perl installation was much less of a hassle and is still running
fine here at SWITCH.

Regards,
Chris