perfsonar-announce - Re: Important perfSONAR Toolkit Security Update

Subject: perfSONAR Announcements

Re: Important perfSONAR Toolkit Security Update

  • From: R Phipps <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Important perfSONAR Toolkit Security Update
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:16:18 -0400

Some perfsonar installations will have an issue with this update of the perl-perfSONAR_PS-Toolkit-SystemEnvironment-3.3.2-16.pSPS.noarch package.

- Issue: error messages during 'yum update' for perfsonar installations where mysql root password is not empty.

... <snipped normal yum update messages> ...
Running: /opt/perfsonar_ps/toolkit/scripts/system_environment/cleanup_cacti upgrade
mysqld (pid 1445) is running...
Reseting default values
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
... <more messages like this snipped> ...

- Cause:
The update expects the mysql root password to be null (as in the default install). If you've left the mysql root password empty, this issue should not occur.

- Work-around:
1- temporarily set your mysql root password to empty.
2- As root, execute: /opt/perfsonar_ps/toolkit/scripts/system_environment/cleanup_cacti upgrade
3- Reset your mysql root password to the previous value.