performingarts - FW: ConferenceXP update

Subject: Performing Arts Advisory

FW: ConferenceXP update

  • From: "Feghali, Jose" <>
  • To: "Michael C. Wellings" <>
  • Cc: <>, <>
  • Subject: FW: ConferenceXP update
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:14:38 -0500

I should clarify a couple of things about my thoughts and experiences on this issue.

Of course I believe that “pushing the envelope” with uncompressed video is a very important endeavor. For people working in computing sciences and research, the state-of-the-art must surely be one of the most important priorities. I am always excited to see reports about the envelope being pushed farther, and have the hope that one day when bandwidth considerations become less of an obstacle (and less costly) that we will be able to use that technology.

Considering however the difficulty that we have encountered even finding DVTS partners, and after talking to a lot of people in the music area of the performing arts, it became clear that one of the most important features missing with normal “off the shelf” video conferencing equipment like Polycom (which a lot of them are using) and other non-DVTS solutions was the lack of uncompressed audio. Obviously, for music, this is a much more important priority than perfect video. ConferenceXP allows for multiple users, which also opens the door for multiple speakers/teachers from different locations to participate in the same session, like some flavors of videoconferencing and AGrid. We can for instance have a violinist, a cellist and a pianist in different places coaching a piano trio over here, or a composer from one location and a conductor from another helping out with a contemporary work’s rehearsal. If this was to be done with uncompressed video, then of course the bandwidth requirement would be virtually impossible to handle.

I think that ours is somewhat of a “niche” requirement compared to most commercial and other needs, in that we value better sound than perfect video – with the exception of the Opera area, where the best quality video would also be quite important. Most companies and developers appear to emphasize audio codecs which work well for voice, echo cancellation and so forth (understandable, considering that this is what the majority of their market needs). Although these are important considerations, they can lead to not provide the best sound possible. It seems that only fairly recently has “transparent”, full-frequency-spectrum audio cancellation been possible for uncompressed audio.

Even an institution like the Juilliard School of Music does not currently have access to Internet2, and during our tests 2 days ago we were able to do some uncompressed video and audio tests with them only because they had a spare OC line which hadn’t been disconnected yet. Previous tests, even at 1 or 2 Mbps, where a disaster. They are working towards having Internet2 access, but meanwhile the best they can do is 2 “bonded” T1 lines with a max useable bandwidth of around 3 Mbps.

If anyone cares to chime in with their experiences, specially if different from ours, I for one would very much like to hear your input.

Best,

JF