owamp-announce - Announcing OWAMP 2.0

owamp-announce@internet2.edu

Subject: OWAMP Announcements

Announcing OWAMP 2.0

  • From: "Jeff W. Boote" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Announcing OWAMP 2.0
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:33:08 -0700

OWAMP 2.0 is now available:

http://e2epi.internet2.edu/owamp/download/owamp-2.0.tar.gz

This version has MANY enhancements over the 1.6f version. However, it is NOT
COMPATIBLE with version 1.6f. It makes use of a new control port (TCP/4824).

It is possible to run both versions at the same time. However, you will need
redefine all the directory configuration options in the owampd.conf file so
the
two daemons do not conflict. (vardir and datadir)

Improvements from release 1.6f:

* updated protocol specification (draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-14.txt)
* Additional statistics:
TTL
Jitter
* increased data validation (protocol now allows for sender information to be
used to verify the information received)
* Increased stability
* NTP requirement relaxed
* Many additional system ports:
FreeBSD
4.7
5.4
6.0 (64-bit)
Linux
2.4.21 (32-bit)
2.6.11 (64-bit)
MacOS X
10.4.5
Solaris
5.8
* Documentation actually released in package (boy am I embarrassed)
* Firewall options available (can limit tests to specific port ranges)
* many, many other enhancements... See the 'CHANGES' file

For those of you that can route traffic on the Abilene network, I have the nms4 hosts installed with this version (as well as version 1.6f). We have fairly liberal policies for those who want to run tests to our servers. Please see:
http://e2epi.internet2.edu/pipes/ami/owamp/

Enjoy,
jeff

P.S. Now I need to start coding on a version of the code for the final spec, now that IESG has finally approved!

  • Announcing OWAMP 2.0, Jeff W. Boote, 03/20/2006