ntacpeering - Re: Today's BGP incidents

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: Today's BGP incidents

  • From: Hans Addleman <>
  • To:
  • Cc: , Internet2 NOC <>, Greg Boles <>
  • Subject: Re: Today's BGP incidents
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:41:18 -0500

Hi Bill,

Apologies for the late response.

Internet2 routers during this time dropped many of our bgp sessions with
international peers that were affected by the route leakage. All of our
International peerings are safeguarded by prefix limits and we saw a number
of them go down as they went over this limit.

As Dale stated we do not peer directly with NLR and we do not believe that we
perpetuated this leakage. However, if you or anyone does find evidence that
we did please share and I will investigate further.

Currently the NOC is pulling together a list of which peers we saw drop
during this outage due to prefix limit exceeded.

Our current limit for all International peers is set at 4000.

Thanks!
Hans Addleman
IU Global NOC Engineer