ntacpeering - Re: Akamai Routes on TR-CPS

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: Akamai Routes on TR-CPS

  • From: Darrell Newcomb <>
  • To: David Farmer <>
  • Cc: Michael H Lambert <>,
  • Subject: Re: Akamai Routes on TR-CPS
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:32:01 -0700

On Sep 19, 2012, at 4:08 PM, David Farmer wrote:
> FYI, our local Akamai node usually runs about 2.5G and was doing about 5G
> from noon to 4:00pm and has been tapering off for a couple hours now but
> still more than double for the time of day. The local exchange point here
> in Minneapolis has an Akamai operated node and saw a similar spike. Our
> Campus wireless when from about 1G, which is fairly typical, just before
> noon to 1.75G just after the noon hour. Man those bit were flying through
> the air. :)

If you could hear them ... our ears would hurt. :-D

Would be rather interesting for those with measurement covering both kinds of
connectivity for the same user-populate (but especially if can correlate
specific users)... to see how many normally "wireless" clients moved to wired
during periods like this. Probably a decent lightening talk in that.
Presumably they move either because of natural daily cycles and on days like
this, because they know the download on wired will be faster, and/or they
got fed-up with wireless that day and moved to wired connections (bonus
points for large enough populations of people and varied enough wifi
capabilities/load to see if those were apparent factors in the behavior
change).