netsec-sig - [Security-WG] Re: What tools do people use to trigger Zenedge/Oracle Dyn's scrubbing service?

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] Re: What tools do people use to trigger Zenedge/Oracle Dyn's scrubbing service?

  • From: "Beals, Damon G" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] Re: What tools do people use to trigger Zenedge/Oracle Dyn's scrubbing service?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 16:41:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

At Indiana University, we use ipfix flow data from our routers, and send it
to a Plixer Scrutinizer collector. We have rules setup in Scrutinizer that
ID DDos and other strange traffic. The Plixer sends us email when it finds
suspect traffic. We then take a look at the email and at the traffic via
Plixer, to determine if we need to activate scrubbing. Scrubbing is manual
process we have to make router config changes to tag the route to the
Gigapop, to active the scrubbing.

Over all we are happy with our Plixer appliance, but we have not looked into
having the Plixer automatically create blocks or activate scrubbing. Just
too many false positives. And most of our DDOS that are detected are for
short periods of time less then 15 minutes, just enough to kick that student
playing Xbox off of the network.

https://www.plixer.com/products/scrutinizer/

Damon Beals
Principal Network Engineer