netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] What tools do people use to trigger Zenedge/Oracle Dyn's scrubbing service?

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] What tools do people use to trigger Zenedge/Oracle Dyn's scrubbing service?

  • From: Brad Fleming <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] What tools do people use to trigger Zenedge/Oracle Dyn's scrubbing service?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 16:07:02 -0600
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Kentik offers an on-net collector which catches the data then builds a secure tunnel back to the Kentik cloud. Their service comes with some language about data retention which was good enough for us; however, we’re not a state agency with policies surrounding such data.

Costs for their service are based on number of frames per second of raw flow data your router is sending; NOT the number of frames being samples through the box.. number of frames per second of flow / UDP data the router is dumping toward the collector. They’ve been willing to work pretty hard on discounts in our experience; however, YMMV.

We never compared to Peakflow but we used to use InMon Traffic Sentinel, run from our own VMWare compute. It was a little faster at identifying problems but rule creation was very arduous and lacked the features of Kentik. In the end we chose Kentik even with it’s higher cost.
--
Brad Fleming
Assistant Director for Technology