netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] I love maps....

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] I love maps....

  • From: Steven Wallace <>
  • To: "Dale W. Carder" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] I love maps....
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:32:36 -0400

Since most (all?) ddos comes into our network via commodity sources, it
would be the same as any other typical aspath map.  Then it's just a
question of which commodity carriers support what methodologies. This
has also been pretty well discussed in nanog in the last 5 years or so.

Totally agree, mostly. The map would depict our community’s deployment of DDoS mitigation capabilities, including upstream signaling. The funny thing about maps, folks want to be on them. This can be an amazing motivator. When my lab used to update the RON map, I learned a lot about social response to maps :-)

ssw