netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] I love maps....

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] I love maps....

  • From: "Dale W. Carder" <>
  • To: Steven Wallace <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] I love maps....
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:29:40 -0500

Thus spake Steven Wallace
()
on Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 11:07:00AM -0400:
> I realize this idea may be shot down instantly, but here goes…
>
> I would like to create a map that depicts inter-domain DDoS mitigation
> capabilities from transit provider, I2 network, RON, campus.
>
> e.g., IU is able to signal -> I-LIght -> is able to signal L3 and I2 and
> its -> members to drop destinations to a specified prefix
>
> The map will include the location of campuses, pseudo topology of their
> external connectivity, ditto for RONs, and their upstreams. different
> colored arrows would point upstream indicated the signaling mechanisms
> and/or services such as scrubbing.
>
> reveal too much info?
> useful map?

Since most (all?) ddos comes into our network via commodity sources, it
would be the same as any other typical aspath map. Then it's just a
question of which commodity carriers support what methodologies. This
has also been pretty well discussed in nanog in the last 5 years or so.

Dale