ndt-users - Re: Strange results using NDT over VPN

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Strange results using NDT over VPN

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: Aris Adamantiadis <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Strange results using NDT over VPN
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:33:07 -0400

Aris;

The NDT system fills a data buffer with printable characters and then repeatedly sends this buffer to the receiving host. The sending host keeps track of the number of bytes it sent, and the time it took to send them. These 2 values are used to calculate the measured speed.

The NDT data flows consist of a repetitive pattern of characters that may be compressible. I would look into the VPN package to see if it is using compression techniques.

Right now I am not looking at ways to randomize the data generation process, but would do so if this proves to be a problem for a large number of users.

Rich