ndt-users - increased client testing?

Subject: ndt-users list created

increased client testing?

  • From: Tom Throckmorton <>
  • To:
  • Subject: increased client testing?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:40:34 -0400

Hi all,

I discovered something interesting recently, and am wondering if anyone
else has noticed similar behavior on their NDT sites.

We've had a _significant_ uptick in testing recently against one of our
NDT instances. What's most interesting about this is the pattern of
testing - lots of repeat tests almost exclusively from a limited number
of commercial broadband users from different providers from around the
country. No obvious reason that I can tell for this activity - no press
releases or announcements that highlight this service our site, and
nothing that I've found from searching that I can tie to this string of
testing. I will say that the testing appears to be somewhat regular, so
I suspect it's automated - no way of telling that for certain, though.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else is seeing similar behavior - if
you are, or discover that you are after reading this, I'd be interested
in comparing notes. If I work out what it is, of course I'll let y'all
know as well.

Couple of ideas that fell out of looking at this problem that would make
good feature enhancements:

- client detail/version reporting, sorta like user-agent reporting in a
web server (to discern testing via applet, or cli client, as well as
applet/client version)
- logging some detail about client queuing, if not running in
multi-client mode

Thanks, and cheers,

-tt

--
Tom Throckmorton
MCNC - Advanced Services Development

"Connecting North Carolina's future today"

  • increased client testing?, Tom Throckmorton, 04/15/2010