ndt-users - Re: Test Length of C2S and S2C tests

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Test Length of C2S and S2C tests

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: Test Length of C2S and S2C tests
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:02:00 -0400

Peter;

Thanks for the feedback and pointer to the howtoforge web site.

The NDT server is designed to run a quick test and then use the Web100 statistics to analyze the test results. While you can extend the test length, I don't recommend it. However, if you do make changes, please consider sending them back to the ndt developers for inclusion into the contrib directory.

There are several points in the code that need to be modified to increase the test time. Both the client (applet and command line version) and the server have timers to prevent the system from hanging. For example the Applet contains several calls to the setSoTimeout() function to set a watchdog timer for each test. There are similar alarm() function calls in the command line client and server code. You will need to reset these watchdog timers along with the specific test time if you want to increase the test time period.

I would be happy to talk with your network engineers if they want more details about what the NDT system is doing and why 10 second tests are reasonable.

Regards;
Rich Carlson
NDT developer

At 08:01 AM 4/7/2008,

wrote:
Hi,

First off let me start with thanking you all for the creation of NDT. Secondly I'd like to tell about the fact that I installed both web100 and NDT without any problems using the manual found at:
http://www.howtoforge.com/network-diagnostic-tool-ndt-ubuntu-7.10-server
This manual made installing really easy, even while I was installing it onon OPENSuSE 10.3 using my own build RPM's :)

But now I have been confronted with a question of my network engineers about the runtime of the bandwidth measuring tests. Now these run for exactly 10 seconds. Modifying the java sourcecode I was able to increase the C2S runtime to max 12 seconds. I was unable to increase the test length beond the border of approx 12 seconds. Could you please provide me with suggestions where and using what variables in which sourcecode file of the server i can modify in a way that i can change the runtime of the C2S and the S2C tests.

Kind Regards,

Peter Veerman

Richard A. Carlson e-mail:

Network Engineer phone: (734) 352-7043