ndt-dev - Re: [ndt-dev] Expose 2 new Flash variables to JS

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: [ndt-dev] Expose 2 new Flash variables to JS

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [ndt-dev] Expose 2 new Flash variables to JS
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:28:51 -0500

Hi Nathan;

I just ran the client on my home Linux workstation. Nice job, I'm pleased that NDT based on-demand testing will continue even if the face of growing Java JRE limitations.

While the client gave me the upload/download and RTT data, there was no way to dig into the test results to figure out if these numbers were good, bad, or mediocre.

As the original developer of the NDT code I will repeat my mantra, the server is collecting data that can be used to interpret the test results. I agree that the majority of NDT users are not interested in knowing more than the basic data, but I still think that M-Lab should strive to educate them on the value of knowing more.

For example, the NDT server calculates how the clients selection of TCP window size impacts the upload and download speeds. These are the upper bounds of what could be achieved over the connection. The server also calculates the speed based on the Mathis formula, this is also a bounding condition.

I think it would be great if the display somehow showed the user where they fit in relation to these limits.

At a minimum, I would also like to see a button on the screen that would send me the test details. Again, I know that few, if any, users want/need/understand this data, but the point is, they could look at it or send it to the IT staff when reporting a problem.

Regards;
Rich