ndt-dev - Re: Issue 24 in ndt: web100srv creating defunct process and not responding to clients.

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: Issue 24 in ndt: web100srv creating defunct process and not responding to clients.

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Issue 24 in ndt: web100srv creating defunct process and not responding to clients.
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 01:21:50 +0000

Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 24 by rcarlson501: web100srv creating defunct process and not responding to clients.
http://code.google.com/p/ndt/issues/detail?id=24

I need to look at the code more, but it appears that the main control loop needs
work. It should handle running clients, dispatch new clients when an old client
finishes, and accept new connections when there is queue space. From the logs, and
observed behavior, it is having problems when old clients leave before a test is begun.

One correction. The Mlab nodes are configured to handle a maximum of 80 NDT clients
not 100! The 1st 20 get served, the nest 60 get queued. The last 20 requests should
get rejected with a 9988 'server busy' message.

Also, the server removes the defunct processes after a test completes. Some time, up
to 30 seconds, may transpire between the time a child process terminates and when the
kernel resources are released. This is not a bug, but a design issue. The problem
is that the server's main processing loop is stalling and not that defunct processes
are hanging around forever. (at least that's what I think right now. I'll examine
the debug log files to see what's going on, probably the weekend of the 13th).

While I could change the code to queue 80 clients, I'm not sure it is reasonable. It
looks like users aren't willing to wait 4-5 minutes before getting test results, so
it may be better to reduce the queue depth and make them issue another test request.
I wouldn't change the code now, but this is something we need to discuss.

Rich