megaconference - Re: [Megacon] AW: Lync

Subject: Megaconference

Re: [Megacon] AW: Lync

  • From: Ben Fineman <>
  • To: "Todd L. Austin" <>
  • Cc: Jon Winterbottom <>, "<>" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Megacon] AW: Lync
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:03:50 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Good response Todd. To add a bit to Todd's point at the end, Internet2 is partnering with other national research and education networks to take the NET+ services global. Here is a presentation that Shel gave this past summer on the topic. The Canadian NREN CANARIE is participating in this program.

Regarding NET+ video conferencing services, the four today are Blue Jeans , FuzeBoxSeevogh, and Vidyo.  FuzeBox is the only one that has completed service validation. None are available globally yet, but expressing interest to your NREN might help that process.

Finally I continue to believe there can be a role for both a unified communications solution (Lync, Jabber, etc) AND a bridging platform like the above. The latter is important both for multiparty collaboration and inter-organizational collaboration. That said, as UC, video conferencing, and web conferencing solutions all keep adding features, the lines between them become blurred. One thing that remains constant is the need to maintain standards-based interoperability.

Regards,
Ben

Benjamin J. Fineman
Program Manager, Video Services
Internet2

(email/video/chat)
http://www.internet2.edu

734.352.4975 (desk)
734.417.0811 (mobile)

On Nov 6, 2013, at 1:43 PM, "Todd L. Austin" <>