megaconference - Re: Hardware vs software sound processing [was: [Megacon] Message from Platinum sponsor (instructions and notes)]

Subject: Megaconference

Re: Hardware vs software sound processing [was: [Megacon] Message from Platinum sponsor (instructions and notes)]

  • From: Erik Dobbelsteijn <>
  • To: Simon Horne <>
  • Cc: "'Christian Helft'" <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: Hardware vs software sound processing [was: [Megacon] Message from Platinum sponsor (instructions and notes)]
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:11:59 +0100

Actually, to perform decent echo cancellation you need three things:
- an adaptive though robust algorithm
- input signals and output signals with decent Signal to Noise Ration that
are as linear as possible.
- the ability to subtract the environmental noise on your (!) side from your
(!) input signal before sending it to the far side

(bear in mind that it is always the one on the other side who has to take the
effort/cost to cancel echo for you.

On the side of the algorithms: the most popular is the LMS algorithm, since
it is simple and can easily made more robust. It has the least damping of the
environmental audio, though. It really doesn't matter whether it is
implemented in hardware or software (and anyways: a DSP runs software, too
:-) ) as long as the audio processing path is as real time as possible (short
and consistently short delays).

That brings us to the ability to get the right signals into the algorithm
processor. This has been a problem in pc's for a long time. As stated by
Simon, dedicated echo cancelling equipment like the long time used line echo
cancellers in long distance telephony infrastructures but also hardware video
conferencing stations have had hardware DSP's on board for a long time and
the inputs and outputs were wired in such a way that they were available to
the algorithm. Most of them, Apple in particular, do not provide any info on
how they implement it (at least not that I have found). Telco grade echo
cancellers come with detailed info on how to adjust parameters like the tail
length of the adaptive filter in the algorithm and such.
The quality of microphones, use of array microphones and wideband loudspeaker
drivers make sure that the signals are of such quality that the algorithm can
reduce the environmental noise as much as possible. Quality of (laptop)
loudspeakers and microphones have drastically increased in the last 10 years
or so, fortunately.

Since Windows Vista (not my favorite OS), Microsoft has enabled programmers
to use both inputs and outputs in one algorithm, and is actually providing
basic echo cancellation that any application can use. Windows 7 has
significantly improved in this area. Still, though, video conferencing
applications are far ahead when it comes to the quality of the algorithm,
Skype being one of the best with Mirial, Polycom and Vidyo as very good
runners up (in my personal experience, have not taken measurements. that
would not be very simple since it cannot be turned of most of the times).

...and yes, door slams can be canceled if the algorithm looks a little ahead
of time. That only has to be one sample. As soon as the adaptive algorithm
has 'learned' the characteristics of the room, it can pretty well block any
noise travelling through it.

Erik Dobbelsteijn

On 1 Dec 2012, at 8:08 PM, Simon Horne