megaconference - Hardware vs software sound processing [was: [Megacon] Message from Platinum sponsor (instructions and notes)]

Subject: Megaconference

Hardware vs software sound processing [was: [Megacon] Message from Platinum sponsor (instructions and notes)]

  • From: Christian Helft <>
  • To: "Simon Horne" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Hardware vs software sound processing [was: [Megacon] Message from Platinum sponsor (instructions and notes)]
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 15:51:02 +0100

Thanks a lot Simon. You make very good points and answer some of my long
lasting interrogations about software vs hardware echo cancellation.

I doubt that people not bearing hearing door slams appreciate too much
watching you with a headphone hiding your ears and mouth. And unfortunately
echo cancellers DON'T cancel door slams (maybe I'm wrong, do they have a
short range sensitivity like headphone microphones?). For me, pervasive
videoconferencing requires hands-(or more exactly ears- and mouth-)free user
experience, period (exit headphone). And my experience is that I'm using less
and less often an external echo canceller (sometimes I forget to hook one,
and ... no one complains!).

Granted, I'm using more Macs than Windows machines, and you're shedding a new
light on my understanding of the mysteries of software vs hardware
implementation of echo cancellation. Now I understand why my iPad will
probably never see an echo canceller during its whole life.

Beyond your point about Windows being so difficult to master regarding sound
processing, it's a little bit scary to see that every *application* needs a
different hardware!

Regarding Spranto, I gave it a (very short and incomplete) trial a couple a
weeks ago. I just called the Esnet MCU from a new iPAD (without remote
participants). The video was often quite pixellated, under conditions where
other systems (Cisco Jabber, zoom.us, Lifesize softphone) are performing
quite well.

Regards,

Christian.

Le 1 déc. 2012 à 14:03, "Simon Horne"