megaconference - [Megacon] Internet2 Video Services: Free Emergency Response Bridging Available

Subject: Megaconference

[Megacon] Internet2 Video Services: Free Emergency Response Bridging Available

  • From: Ben Fineman <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Megacon] Internet2 Video Services: Free Emergency Response Bridging Available
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:18:22 -0400

Good morning,

To help our colleagues on the East Coast work to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, Internet2 is providing video bridging services for emergency response and disaster recovery purposes. If your institution has lost access to your video infrastructure but your staff members still have power and networking, or at least phone service at home, you can use Internet2's Video Services to conduct business remotely.

To get a private Virtual Meeting Room allocated for this purpose for your institution, please email , or me directly. We can also offer voice only bridges as needed. We will offer these free emergency bridges for the next two weeks to any member of the research and education community - Internet2 membership is not required during this period.

For ad-hoc use, we have increased the capacity of the standing Internet2 Video Services Test Room. Feel free to use this resource at any time but recognize that this is a shared room and calls may not be private. Dialing instructions:

Option 1  URI Dialing (Recommended):  Dial
This supports almost all software clients (SIP or H323).  If you need a desktop software application, the current recommendation is to use Cisco's free Jabber Video software which can be found at: https://www.ciscojabbervideo.com/  Once installed, simply login to the application and dial the string above.

Option 2  IP Dialing:
Method 1:
1.  Dial the full string as follows:
Method 2 (beta, Polycom HDX not supported):
1.  Dial 64.57.22.14 . Select Option 2 using DTMF/Touch Tones.

Option 3  GDS Dialing Directions:
1. If you are not already, register with a GDS-enabled Gatekeeper.  To borrow space see: https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/I2commons/H.323+Testing+Instructions
2. Dial (00)1-703-691-6901

Option 4  Cisco CTS Dialing Instructions:  Dial 1-703-691-6901
If you are connecting with a Cisco CTS Telepresence unit, you may use this number if you are trunked to either the Internet2 or National Lambda Rail (NLR) Telepresence Exchange.

Option 5 Audio only (telephone): Dial 1-703-691-6901

The above dialing instructions are for our standard test room and will remain available for testing after the emergency is over. Our thoughts are with our East Coast colleagues - please don't hesitate to contact us if we can help in any way.

Regards,
Ben

Benjamin J. Fineman
Program Manager, Video Services
Internet2

(Email and XMPP)
http://www.internet2.edu

734.352.4975 (desk)
734.417.0811 (mobile)

  • [Megacon] Internet2 Video Services: Free Emergency Response Bridging Available, Ben Fineman, 10/30/2012