mace-opensaml-users - [OpenSAML] Two SAML objects sharing an element name?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

[OpenSAML] Two SAML objects sharing an element name?

  • From: Jared Camarata <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [OpenSAML] Two SAML objects sharing an element name?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:23:55 -0500

Hi all,

I am new to opensaml but basically I am building and decoding xml documents for file requests. I have a samlobject called FileRequest which gets marshaled to <FileRequest ID="xx">. There are indeed children elements. I now have a need to have a different type of FileRequest that will have different child elements. Would I be able to extend the FileRequest interface to make QuickFileRequest that inherits the DEFAULT_ELEMENT_NAME from FileRequest? The reason being is that it needs to share the element name, but QuickFileRequest will have different methods in the impl and different children elements.

I have tried this, and I am using XML Tooling to create my QuickFileRequest. My line of code is QuickFileRequest qfr = QuickFileRequestBuilder.buildObject();... Unfortunately the buildObject is returning a FileRequest class object and it wont cast into the QuickFileRequest. Is it creating a FileRequest because of the default_element_name?

Thank you very much,
Jared C